Criminal Justice and Public Safety, MS
Master of Science
What you study
The IU Online MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety focuses on the intersection of these two exciting fields. The program will appeal to individuals interested in the fields of policing, homeland security, and emergency management. Complete coursework in a variety of special topics, including crime mapping, geographic information systems, and cybersecurity, among others. The flexible online program also meets the needs of individuals currently working in criminal justice and security careers.
How you benefit
As a student in the program, you:
- Examine criminal justice and public safety system actors, agencies, and processes.
- Explore the underlying operations of police, emergency management, courts, and corrections agencies.
- Identify the major policy issues in criminal justice and public safety systems.
- Learn to communicate effectively with individuals working in the complex and diverse criminal justice or public safety sectors.
- Explore the philosophical underpinnings and development of law, and critically evaluate how criminal justice and public safety policies balance individual rights and public order.
- Analyze criminal justice and public safety policies using a variety of tools, including quantitative research methods and statistical techniques, to improve criminal justice and public safety agencies.
- Identify and critically analyze current criminal justice and public safety policies using available research and empirical evidence to discuss the strengths and limitations of various approaches.
Tailor your degree to your professional interests by choosing one of two concentrations:
- Public safety
- Criminal justice
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, and IU Southeast.
Download a printable PDF summary of the MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety.