This undergraduate certificate is awarded by Purdue University at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). IUPUI is administered by Indiana University.
Lead your career. Gain the knowledge, skills, experiences, attitudes, perspectives, and tools necessary to understand leadership in individual, organizational, and community settings in an ever-changing global society.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies gives you the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective leader in areas of management, team building, HR management and development, decision making, resource allocation, conflict resolution, and strategic planning in solving individual, group, and organizational problems. You study human behavior in organizations, ethical decisions in leadership, applied leadership, leadership for a global workforce, and leadership theories and processes.
As a student in the program, you learn to define and defend your personal philosophy of leadership and ethical behavior. You learn to make leadership-oriented decisions that are ethically, legally, morally, and strategically sound. You gain an understanding of the importance of attracting, managing, and motivating a globally diverse workforce. You learn to improve individual and organizational performance by applying the appropriate leadership theories and processes in practice. You also evaluate the appropriateness of leadership behaviors in given situations, and make suggestions for improving those behaviors.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- General manager
- Assistant manager
- Sales leadership
- Team leader
- Leadership development specialist
- Operations manager
- Facility manager
- Production manager
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Leadership studies core courses (15 credit hours)
- Any 300/400-level OLS elective (3 credit hours)
*Courses for this certificate program are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU