This undergraduate certificate is awarded by Purdue University at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). IUPUI is administered by Indiana University.
Rapidly advancing technology increases the need to communicate complex technical information effectively to audiences and users. Technical communicators use technology to create resources including UX, user manuals, online help, websites, training materials, and product specification in STEM related industries.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Technical Communication explores topics in general technical communication, editing, applications of technical communication, and career development. You learn to gather and transform technical knowledge for a variety of audiences as you design, develop, and edit effective, usable publications using sound communication principles and current technology. As a student in the program, you acquire the core knowledge, skills, and professional practices necessary for entry-level technical communicators.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Technical Communication prepares you for such careers as:
- Technical editor/writer
- Technical content manager
- Documentation specialist
- Usability/user experience analyst
- Technical trainer
- Instructional designer
- Medical writer
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Technical Communication, you must complete 19 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Technical communication core courses (12 credit hours)
- Technical communication elective courses (6 credit hours)
- Portfolio Preparation (1 credit hour)
*Courses for this certificate programs are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU