The field of healthcare is continually evolving. Preventing disease is becoming as important as treatment. Applied health science focuses on prevention. It involves promoting wellness in families, organizations, and society at large through research, health education, policy making, and therapeutic intervention.
IU Online’s Bachelor of Science in Applied Health Science is an interdisciplinary program for students who have at least 30 credit hours of coursework that can be applied toward a university degree. The degree prepares you for careers or graduate studies in health-related fields. It offers two tracks: Community Health Education and Health Administration.
Your BS in Applied Health Science will prepare you for a high-growth job market in areas related to disease prevention, quality of life, health planning, and therapeutic intervention. Graduates may work in a variety of public health, wellness education, and health organization fields, including:
- Wellness coordinator
- Environmental science and protection technician
- Heath specialty teacher
- Occupational health and safety technician
- Community health worker
- Health educator
- Hospital administration (entry-level)
- Nonprofit health agency positions
To graduate with the BS in Applied Health Science, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. Course requirements fall into four categories and are defined by student learning outcomes.
1. General Education (30-42 credit hours)
2. Applied Health Science Core Courses (42 credit hours)
You take applied health science courses that teach you how to:
- Utilize problem-solving, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills in a variety of healthcare settings and situations.
- Utilize effective leadership and management strategies in common healthcare delivery systems and environments.
- Apply evidence-based healthcare practices for optimum health outcomes.
- Demonstrate accountability within the legal and ethical parameters of the healthcare system.
- Integrate communication skills into professional roles.
- Utilize information technology in the delivery of healthcare.
- Explore the historical and contemporary social determinants of health that shape health status, health behavior, and health inequalities.
3. Applied Health Science Tracks (18 credit hours)
A. Community Health Education Track
Coursework will provide instruction in the skills necessary to conduct general health and wellness assessments and the techniques of health education. This track prepares you to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination.
- Community Health Assessment, Education, and Promotion
- Program Assessment, Planning, Evaluation, Parts l and ll
B. Health Administration Track
Coursework will provide instruction in healthcare organization, planning, budgeting, and finance.
- Healthcare Administration and Strategic Planning
- Healthcare Budgeting and Finance
- Healthcare Organization Supervision and Resource Management
4. Electives (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
SERVICES YOU’LL RECEIVE
As an IU Online student, you’ll receive personalized help.
- Onboarding, with just-in-time reference material
- Financial aid, including help finding and applying for loans and scholarships
- Success coaching
- Math and writing tutoring
- Career coaching
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
2.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
Once you have submitted the IU Online application, you will be assigned a home campus. If you are fully admitted, your home campus will provide advising services, administer any financial aid benefits you may have, support your technical needs, and offer other student services. When you successfully complete your degree requirements, this campus will award your Indiana University diploma.
The BS in Applied Health Science is jointly offered by IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $250.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $750.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $350.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1050.00
Prep program at some campuses not eligible for collaborative rate.
Earn a quality education
With more than 115 online degree programs to choose from, Indiana University gives you the opportunity to receive a top-quality education when you want it, where you want it. The faculty who teach our online courses are the same exceptional faculty who teach those courses on our campuses. Whether you're looking for an undergraduate education or want to continue advancing your career with a graduate degree, IU Online’s degree program options have something for everyone.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes whenever and wherever is most convenient for you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. Classes aren't tied to a certain time or day.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at Indiana University have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. We're committed to providing you with the quality educational experience students have come to expect and desire from Indiana University, without needing to make sacrifices to the other commitments in your life.