The field of healthcare is continually evolving. Preventing disease is becoming as important as treatment. Applied health science focuses on prevention. It involves promoting wellness in families, organizations, and society at large through research, health education, policy making, and therapeutic intervention.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Applied Health Science is an interdisciplinary program for students who have at least 30 credit hours of coursework that can be applied toward a university degree. The degree prepares you for careers or graduate studies in health-related fields. It offers two tracks: Community Health Education and Health Administration.
Your BS in Applied Health Science will prepare you for a high-growth job market in areas related to disease prevention, quality of life, health planning, and therapeutic intervention. Graduates may work in a variety of public health, wellness education, and health organization fields, including:
- Wellness coordinator
- Environmental science and protection technician
- Heath specialty teacher
- Occupational health and safety technician
- Community health worker
- Health educator
- Hospital administration (entry-level)
- Nonprofit health agency positions
To graduate with the BS in Applied Health Science, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university. Course requirements fall into four categories and are defined by student learning outcomes.
1. General education courses (30-42 credit hours)
2. Applied health science core courses (42 credit hours)
You take applied health science courses that teach you how to:
- Utilize problem-solving, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills in a variety of healthcare settings and situations.
- Utilize effective leadership and management strategies in common healthcare delivery systems and environments.
- Apply evidence-based healthcare practices for optimum health outcomes.
- Demonstrate accountability within the legal and ethical parameters of the healthcare system.
- Integrate communication skills into professional roles.
- Utilize information technology in the delivery of healthcare.
- Explore the historical and contemporary social determinants of health that shape health status, health behavior, and health inequalities.
3. Applied health science tracks (18 credit hours)
A. Community Health Education Track
Coursework will provide instruction in the skills necessary to conduct general health and wellness assessments and the techniques of health education. This track prepares you to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination.
- Community Health Assessment, Education, and Promotion
- Program Assessment, Planning, Evaluation, Parts l and ll
B. Health Administration Track
Coursework will provide instruction in healthcare organization, planning, budgeting, and finance.
- Healthcare Administration and Strategic Planning
- Healthcare Budgeting and Finance
- Healthcare Organization Supervision and Resource Management
4. Electives (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
At least 30 transferable credit hours.
Met all other admissions requirements.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts.
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- This program is offered by IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. After applying, you will be assigned a home campus. You will submit application documents to the Office of Admissions of that campus.
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $224.23
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $672.69
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $321.34
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $964.02
-Additional fees will apply.
-Prep program at some campuses not eligible for collaborative rate.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future