Today, there is a trend toward the use of modern sophisticated mathematical techniques of both computational and theoretical types, to analyze experimental and big data sets in the fields of engineering, economics, and sciences, as well as in industry.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics provides non-math-major students with the opportunity to enhance careers with a strong background in applied mathematics. In particular, the required courses leading to the certificate prepare you for deeper study or research at graduate school or in your chosen job fields.
As a student in the program, you take upper-level, undergraduate applied, and computational mathematics courses that go beyond the level of Calculus I, II, and III. The curriculum includes linear algebra, elementary differential equations with applications, elementary computational methods, and mathematical models and applications. In addition, you select one mathematics elective course that aligns with your specific goals.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics prepares you for such careers as:
- Finance analyst
- Business analyst
- Programmer analyst
- Software engineer
- IT project manager
- Research assistant
- Data analyst
- Investment analyst
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics, you must complete 15 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Applied mathematics core courses (12 credit hours)
- Applied mathematics elective course (3 credit hours)
NOTE: Prerequisites for the Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics include Calculus I, II, and III.
Student ServicesIU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 12 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Office of Admissions
Indiana University East
Whitewater Hall, Room 151
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $224.23
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $672.69
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $321.34
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $964.02
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future