Criminal justice is a social science that focuses on the definitions, causes, and prevention of crime; legal processes; and the treatment and rehabilitation of offenders.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice explores crime, criminals, and the criminal justice system through an interdisciplinary approach that combines legal studies, sociology, political science, psychology, forensic science, public administration, urban studies, and philosophy. You study a myriad of topics related to theories about crime, public policy, law, criminal courts, policing, corrections, juvenile justice, and the practice of criminal justice. As a graduate of the program, you will be well prepared to attend graduate or law school.
Your IU Online BS in Criminal Justice prepares you for such careers as:
- Police officer
- Corrections officer
- Law enforcement teacher or trainer
- FBI, CIA, or Secret Service agent
- Immigration and customs enforcement agent
- US Postal Inspector
- Court clerk
- Crime scene investigator
- Private security officer
- Compliance manager
To graduate with the BS in Criminal Justice, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. A minimum of 36 credits must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major. No course with a grade below a 2.0 (C) will be accepted in the major/concentration area. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (30 credit hours)
- Criminal justice core courses (27 credit hours)
- Criminal justice elective courses (9 credit hours)
- First-Year seminar (0-3 credit hours)
- Ethics course (3 credit hours)
- Information literacy course (3 credit hours)
- Diversity course (3 credit hours)
- Social work course (3 credit hours recommended)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 12 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Office of Admissions
Indiana University East
Whitewater Hall, Room 151
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $235.59
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $706.77
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $340.92
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1022.76
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future