Dentistry is the treatment of diseases and other conditions that affect oral health. Dental assistants are valuable members of a dental care team, providing support for the dentist in the delivery of quality oral healthcare.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Dental Assisting prepares you to enter the dental profession with the qualifications to become a certified dental assistant. Upon completion of the program, you are eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board Examination to become a certified dental assistant.
As a student in the nine-month program, you complete coursework encompassing approximately 1,000 hours of lecture, laboratory, and clinical instruction. You take courses in oral pathology, physiology, and anatomy; dental therapeutics and medical emergencies; microbiology and asepsis techniques; dental materials; preventive dentistry and nutrition; practice management; restorative dentistry; and more. The program is accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Dental Assisting prepares you for such careers as:
- Certified dental assistant
- Dental office administrator
- Dental sales representative
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Dental Assisting, you must complete 31 credit hours, including one or two Saturdays a month for pre-clinics, labs, and exams at the School of Dentistry on the IUPUI campus. Clinical experiences take place in dental offices in your hometown.
NOTE: If you choose to continue your education, four undergraduate degrees at IUPUI currently accept credits from our courses, including: Organization Leadership and Supervision, Public Health, Individualized Major Program, and General Studies.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete IU School of Dentistry Dental Assisting Program Application.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $286.01
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $858.03
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $986.31
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2958.93
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future