Gerontology is the interdisciplinary study of aging as a social, behavioral, and biological science, including the physical change and psychosocial aspects of aging. The reality of our aging society is resulting in a demand for professionals with knowledge and expertise in aging. There are many diverse opportunities for a career in the field of aging.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology Studies examines the aging process, and looks at both health and disability among the elderly. As a student in the program, you take courses covering topics such as nutrition and exercise, aging and the older person, programs for older adults, and the psychosocial aspects of aging. You also participate in a service-learning experience in an agency on aging or in a long-term care facility.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology Studies prepares you to work in adult healthcare facilities in such careers as:
- Aging consultant
- Aging advocate
- Family support specialist
- Assisted living caregiver
- Resident care associate
- Elder care provider
- Personal care attendant
- Home care specialist
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Gerontology Studies, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Gerontology core courses (12 credit hours)
- Gerontology elective courses (6 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $286.01
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $858.03
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $330.99
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $992.97
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future