Health science is an interdisciplinary degree program that prepares students for careers in the healthcare industry or for graduate studies in health-related fields.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences curriculum consists of core health science courses, electives, and your choice of one of four tracks: gerontology, global health and rehabilitation studies, rehabilitation and disabilities studies, or preparation for graduate health professions programs.
As a student in this track, you explore the interdisciplinary study of gerontology as a social, behavioral, and biological science, including the physical change and psychosocial aspects of aging.
Global Health and Rehabilitation Studies
As a student in this track, you explore issues in global health and rehabilitation delivery systems from the viewpoint of many different disciplines with an emphasis on developing countries.
Rehabilitation and Disabilities Studies
As a student in this track, you study available equipment or product systems used in rehabilitation settings to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. You explore the historical perspective, technological and humanitarian advances, and major issues in the rehabilitation administrative environment.
Preparation for Graduate Health Professions Programs
As a student in this track, you prepare for graduate-level coursework in one of three graduate health programs: occupational therapy, physical therapy, or physician assistant.
Your IU Online BS in Health Sciences prepares you for such careers as:
- Medical sales representative
- Behavior support technician
- Insurance analyst
- Home health aide
- Medical research coordinator
- Family care provider
- Hospital administrator
- Health program coordinator
To graduate with your BS in Health Sciences, you must complete 120 credit hours. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (32 credit hours)
- Health sciences general education courses (12 credit hours)
- Health sciences core courses (44 credit hours)
- Health sciences track courses (12-34 credit hours)
- General elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to email@example.com or:
IUPUI Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $275.17
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $825.51
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $957.58
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2872.74
Additional fees will apply.
Earn a quality education
With more than 120 online degree programs to choose from, Indiana University gives you the opportunity to receive a top-quality education when you want it, where you want it. The faculty who teach our online courses are the same exceptional faculty who teach those courses on our campuses. Whether you're looking for an undergraduate education or want to continue advancing your career with a graduate degree, IU Online’s degree program options have something for everyone.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes whenever and wherever is most convenient for you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. Classes aren't tied to a certain time or day.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at Indiana University have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. We're committed to providing you with the quality educational experience students have come to expect and desire from Indiana University, without needing to make sacrifices to the other commitments in your life.