Histology is the study of cellular structure and tissue anatomy of plants and animals. Histotechnicians and histotechnologists are members of a laboratory team who employ histologic technology to diagnose diseases, to conduct research, or to instruct others in the science. As a histotechnologist, your tasks will require patience, mechanical ability, and knowledge of biology, immunology, molecular biology, anatomy, and chemistry. You will work with delicate instruments and automated equipment as well as knives, chemicals, and glass slides. You must value precision and have good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
The IU Online Associate of Science in Histotechnology provides you with the education experiences necessary to enter a career as a histologic technician, to include entry-level competence and eligibility for the ASCP Board of Certification Histotechnician exam. The curriculum balances technical knowledge and clinical competence gained in the histology laboratory setting.
Your IU Online AS in Histotechnology prepares you for a career as a histotechnician in:
- Public health facilities
- Industrial research
- Veterinary pathology
- Marine biology
- Forensic pathology
You must complete the certificate-level coursework (24 credit hours) before pursuing the associate degree. If you are already certified as a histotechnologist by the American Society for Clinical Pathology, you may apply for special credit in lieu of the certificate course work. To graduate with the AS in Histotechnology, you must complete a total of 60 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Elementary composition (3 credit hours)
- Speech communication (3 credit hours)
- College mathematics - college algebra or higher (3 credit hours)
- Arts/humanities elective (3 credit hours)
- Social science elective (6 credit hours)
- Life & physical sciences - biology (general biology preferred) (5 credit Hours)
- Life & physical sciences - chemistry (principles of chemistry preferred) (3 credit Hours)
- Additional life & physical sciences - additional biology (human biology or human anatomy/physiology preferred) (4 credit hours)
- Histotechnology capstone PATH-H 201 (6 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Completed the Histotechnology Certificate level coursework or be certified as a histotechnologist by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Registry.
Met all other admissions requirements.
To apply to this program:
- Pre-application form - Applicants should wait to apply to the university until they receive their pre-application approval letter.
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit Histotechnology Program supplemental forms.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to email@example.com or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $279.03
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $837.09
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $957.58
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2872.74
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future