The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Human Communication in a Mediated World is a response to the growing necessity for humans to learn to interact more effectively in a world where people frequently move in and out of traditional face-to-face and mediated communication situations. Our face-to-face communication is altered because of our mediated experiences, which are now an integral part of our society.
As a student in this program, you acquire the ability to understand and apply traditional and mediated communication theories appropriately and effectively in organizational, intercultural, interpersonal, persuasive, and mass-media communication contexts. In addition, you acquire the skills to examine, understand, and apply appropriate communication tools, processes, and strategies in computer-mediated environments.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Human Communication in a Mediated World prepares you to work in business, government, education, the arts, and performance in such careers as:
- Communications specialist
- Direct sales representative
- Administration support specialist
- Account manager
- Retail manager
- Human resource associate
- Recruiting specialist
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Human Communication in a Mediated World, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Human communication core course (3 credit hours)
- Communication elective courses (15 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $286.01
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $858.03
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $986.31
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2958.93
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future