Labor studies is an interdisciplinary field that deals with work, the workplace, and workers and their organizations. It draws from the fields of history, economics, industrial relations, political science, law, sociology, communication, and philosophy, as well as other disciplines.
The IU Online Associate of Science in Labor Studies exposes you to courses in writing, technology, economics, and history. You develop skills that you can apply to your day-to-day activities at your workplace, in your union, and in the community. You gain a better understanding of where you and the labor movement fit into the economy, the political arena, and society as a whole. These skills enable you to learn new jobs, take on new responsibilities, and adjust to a changing job market.
Your IU Online AS in Labor Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Labor relations specialist
- Union organizer
- Community advocate
- Public policy advocate
- Recruiting coordinator
- Human resource associate
- Employee benefits manager
- Equal Employment Opportunity officer
- Training and development specialist
To graduate with the AS in Labor Studies, you must complete a total of 60 credit hours. At least 12 credit hours must be earned from Indiana University. No more than 15 credit hours may be earned within a single discipline other than labor studies.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (33 credit hours)
- Labor studies 100/200 level courses (15 credit hours)
- Labor studies 200/300/400 level courses (12 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
At least 12 transferable credit hours.
Met all other admissions requirements.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts.
- Submit official high school transcript or equivalent (may be required of some applicants).
- Complete an essay (may be required of some applicants).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- This program is offered by IU Bloomington, IU Northwest, and IUPUI. After applying, you will be assigned a home campus. You will submit application documents to the Office of Admissions of that campus.
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $224.23
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $672.69
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $321.34
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $964.02
-The tuition listed is for IU Northwest. For information about tuition at other campuses, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
-Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future