Labor studies is an interdisciplinary field that deals with work, the workplace, and workers and their organizations. It draws from the fields of history, economics, industrial relations, political science, law, sociology, communication, and philosophy, as well as other disciplines.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Labor Studies provides the focused knowledge related to the workplace. It is designed for individuals seeking basic knowledge about labor rights, collective bargaining, labor problems, and more.
As a student in the program, you take six courses in labor studies, as well as courses in the arts and humanities, mathematics and natural sciences, and social and behavioral sciences. You acquire skills that you can apply to your day-to-day activities at your workplace, in your union, and in the community. You also gain a better understanding of where you and the labor movement fit into the economy, the political arena, and society as a whole.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Labor Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Labor relations specialist
- Union organizer
- Community advocate
- Public policy advocate
- Recruiting coordinator
- Human resource associate
- Employee benefits manager
- Equal employment opportunity officer
- Training and development specialist
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Labor Studies, you must complete 30 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Labor studies core courses (18 credit hours)
- Arts and humanities course (3 credit hours)
- Science and mathematics course (3 credit hours)
- Social and behavioral course (3 credit hours)
- Additional arts and sciences course (3 credit hours)
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts.
- Submit official high school transcript or equivalent (may be required of some applicants).
- Complete an essay (may be required of some applicants).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- This program is offered by IU Bloomington, IU Northwest, IUPUI, and IU South Bend. After applying, you will be assigned a home campus. You will submit application documents to the Office of Admissions of that campus.
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $229.84
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $689.52
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $330.99
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $992.97
-The tuition listed is for IU Northwest and IU South Bend. For information about tuition at other campuses, please send an email to email@example.com.
-Additional fees will apply.
-This program is ineligible for financial aid at IU Northwest and IU South Bend.
-This program is eligible for financial aid at IU Bloomington and IUPUI.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future