This undergraduate certificate is awarded by Purdue University at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). IUPUI is administered by Indiana University.
Today's changing, pluralistic, and global society requires leaders possessing a broad range of knowledge, skills, experiences, attitudes, perspectives, and tools.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies gives you the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective leader in areas of supervisory management, team building, personnel selection and development, decision making, resource allocation, conflict resolution, and strategic planning in solving individual, team/group, and organizational problems. You study human behavior in organizations, ethical decisions in leadership, applied leadership, leadership for a global workforce, and leadership theories and processes.
As a student in the program, you learn to define and defend your personal philosophy of leadership and ethical behavior. You learn to make leadership-oriented decisions that are ethically, legally, morally, and strategically sound. You gain an understanding of the importance of attracting, managing, and motivating a globally diverse workforce. You learn to improve individual and organizational performance by applying the appropriate leadership theories and processes in practice. You also evaluate the appropriateness of leadership behaviors in given situations, and make suggestions for improving those behaviors.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- General manager
- Assistant manager
- Sales leadership
- Team leader
- Leadership development specialist
- Operations manager
- Facility manager
- Production manager
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Leadership Studies, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Leadership studies core courses (15 credit hours)
- Any 300/400-level OLS elective (3 credit hours)
*Courses for this certificate program are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Choose one: OLS 33100, OLS 37100, OLS 38300, or other as approved by department.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $286.01
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $858.03
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $986.31
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2958.93
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future