Legal informatics has been described as "the study of the application of information technologies to the field of law and the use of these technologies by legal professionals." Legal informatics also includes the law related to technology, such as intellectual property law, and security.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics focuses on the effective use of cutting-edge technology in the study and practice of law. The program is designed for individuals seeking to join a legal team without having to earn a law degree. Our graduates are advocates for the best use of information technology in law, helping lawyers to better meet the needs of their clients, and enhancing the quality of legal services.
As a student in the program, you learn to implement specialized technology in law firms and law-related organizations, assist with presenting a legal case in court, handle electronic evidence with confidence, incorporate effective information governance into any organization, establish proper security and privacy programs, and protect the intellectual property of an organization.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics prepares you to work in law firms, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, courts, legal software vendors, and consulting firms in such careers as:
- Cybersecurity specialist
- Electronic discovery specialist
- Intellectual property law consultant
- Contracts and licensing specialist
- Internet of things consultant
- Information governance advisor
- Social media advisor
- Legal software specialist
- Legal data analyst
- Compliance analyst
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics, you must complete 15 credit hours.
NOTE: If you choose to pursue the IU Online BS in Informatics, these certificate courses may apply to your degree requirements. Completion of the certificate program does not guarantee admission to the bachelor's degree program.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $279.03
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $837.09
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $957.58
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2872.74
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future