Mathematics is the science of structure, order, and relation that has evolved from counting, measuring, and describing the shapes of objects. It deals with logical reasoning and quantitative calculation and is considered the underlying language of science.
The IU Online Bachelor of Arts in Natural Science and Mathematics is a flexible degree requiring 30 credit hours in mathematics and a range of liberal arts courses, including two semesters of a foreign language.* The common core curriculum consists of courses in calculus, proof techniques, and the history of mathematics. You choose additional math courses with the help of an advisor. You explore a broad view of society and culture. You learn to think logically, read and write articulately and analytically, solve quantitative problems, and recognize, analyze, and interpret data.
*Please note that students in this program have fewer required math courses than those pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics.
Your IU Online BS in Mathematics prepares you for such careers as:
- Mathematics teacher (K-12)
- Mathematics instructor (community college)
- Financial manager
To graduate with the BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (36-39 credit hours)
- Mathematics core courses (30 credit hours)
- Foreign language courses (6-8 credit hours)
- General elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 12 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to email@example.com or:
Office of Admissions
Indiana University East
Whitewater Hall, Room 151
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $224.23
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $672.69
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $321.34
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $964.02
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future