As nursing practice becomes more complex, many registered nurses seek additional education.
The R.N. to B.S.N. program builds on the knowledge and skills that R.N.s acquire through three-year programs. It offers additional courses in physical and social sciences, nursing research, public and community health, nursing management, and the humanities.
The additional course work enhances the student's professional development, prepares the new nurse for a broader scope of practice, and provides the practicing nurse with a better understanding of the cultural, political, economic, and social issues that affect patients and influence healthcare delivery.
Every graduate of the R.N. to B.S.N. program is expected to demonstrate that he or she is a/an:
- critical thinker who demonstrates intellectual curiosity, rational inquiry, problem-solving skills, and creativity in framing problems.
- culturally competent person who provides holistic nursing care to a variety of individuals, families, and communities.
- knowledgeable care coordinator who facilitates access to resources necessary to meet the healthcare needs of individuals, families, and communities.
- individual who understands the political dynamics in various settings and participates in the change process to shape healthcare policy.
- individual who practices within an ethical and legal framework for the nursing profession and demonstrates ethical behavior related to the privacy, security, and confidentiality of patient information.
- effective communicator who is able to share accurate information.
- competent provider of nursing care who functions in various professional nurse roles in structured and semi-structured healthcare settings.
- professional role model who promotes a positive public image of nursing.
- responsible manager who balances human, fiscal, and material resources to achieve quality healthcare outcomes.
Earn a quality education
With more than 115 online degree programs to choose from, Indiana University gives you the opportunity to receive a top-quality education when you want it, where you want it. The faculty who teach our online courses are the same exceptional faculty who teach those courses on our campuses. Whether you're looking for an undergraduate education or want to continue advancing your career with a graduate degree, IU Online’s degree program options have something for everyone.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes whenever and wherever is most convenient for you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. Classes aren't tied to a certain time or day.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at Indiana University have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. We're committed to providing you with the quality educational experience students have come to expect and desire from Indiana University, without needing to make sacrifices to the other commitments in your life.