Political science is the study of governments, public policies, and political processes, systems, and political behavior. A degree in political science can lead to exciting careers in federal, state, and local governments. It can also open the doors to careers in law, business, international organizations, nonprofit organizations, campaign management and polling, journalism, education, electoral politics, and research.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Political Science exposes you to courses in Constitutional law, Indiana politics, urban politics, contemporary revolutions, political philosophy, judicial politics, political analysis, public opinion and political participation, and more. You develop an understanding of government and politics, the ability to write articulately, the capacity to think logically and analytically, the skill to argue persuasively, and the ability to locate and evaluate information skills that are highly valued in the workplace.
Your IU Online BS in Political Science prepares you for such careers as:
- Political scientist
- Legal assistant
- Community organizer
- Social activist
- Non-profit administrator
- Government executive
- News analyst
- Court reporter
To graduate with the BS in Political Science, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. A minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (30 credit hours)
- Political science core courses (15 credit hours)
- Political science advanced core courses (21 credit hours)
- General elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 12 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Office of Admissions
Indiana University East
Whitewater Hall, Room 151
2325 Chester Boulevard
Richmond, IN 47374-1289
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $229.84
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $689.52
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $330.99
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $992.97
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future