In the early 21st century, traditional sun and sea vacations, once the mainstay of the travel and tourism industry, are being replaced by sport-related vacations and a new breed of tourist eager to attend an ever-increasing number of readily accessible sporting events. Events such as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, and soccer World Cups have enabled specialist travel companies to gain official ticket allocations, then sell them in packages that include flights, hotels, and excursions.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Sports Tourism Development is an innovative program that blends the study of sports and tourism. Set in the context of the increasingly international nature of sport participation and sport spectatorship, the program offers remarkable insight into this growing industry. This program combines both theory and practice to prepare you for opportunities in the sports tourism industry.
As a student in the program, you take courses in tourism planning and development, management of sports events, and sport tourism development. You go behind the scenes of sport event planning, including site selection, logistics, personnel, marketing, economics, and legalities, and examine how sports make an impact on community and business growth.
Depending on your interests, you may choose elective courses in sport journalism, sport marketing, sport sociology, or other special topics. You also complete an industry internship. In addition to knowledge and skills directly related to this program of study, you also develop a range of skills that include teamwork, analytical thinking, communication, volunteer work, and service-learning experiences.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Sports Tourism Development prepares you for such careers as:
- Sport event planner
- Event manager
- Sports museum curator
- Sports museum marketer
- Stadium worker
- Travel agent
- Fairgrounds manager
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Sports Tourism Development, you must complete 19 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follow:
- Sports tourism development core courses (9 credit hours)
- Sports tourism development internship (1 credit hour)
- Sports tourism development elective courses (9 credit hours)
*Courses for this certificate program are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Complete an essay (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 26 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to email@example.com or:
Cavanaugh Hall 147
425 University Boulevard
Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Fall Semester
- May 1
- Spring Semester
- November 1
- Summer Semester
- March 15
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $279.03
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $837.09
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $957.58
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $2872.74
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future