The IU Online MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety focuses on the intersection of these two exciting fields. The program will appeal to individuals interested in the fields of policing, homeland security, and emergency management. Students may complete coursework in a variety of special topics, including crime mapping, geographic information systems, and cybersecurity, among others. The flexible online program also meets the needs of individuals currently working in criminal justice and security careers.
As a student in the program, you:
- examine criminal justice and public safety system actors, agencies, and processes
- explore the underlying operations of police, emergency management, courts, and corrections agencies
- identify the major policy issues in criminal justice and public safety systems
- learn to communicate effectively with individuals working in the complex and diverse criminal justice or public safety sectors
- explore the philosophical underpinnings and development of law, and critically evaluate how criminal justice and public safety policies balance individual rights and public order
- analyze criminal justice and public safety policies using a variety of tools, including quantitative research methods and statistical techniques, to improve criminal justice and public safety agencies
- identify and critically analyze current criminal justice and public safety policies using available research and empirical evidence to discuss the strengths and limitations of various approaches
The program allows you to choose from one of two concentrations: public safety or criminal justice.
Public Safety Concentration
As a student in this concentration, you assess public safety risks using various analysis tools and develop plans to prepare, manage, and mitigate natural and human-made crises.
Criminal Justice Concentration
As a student in this concentration, you analyze the nature and extent of crime, critically evaluate major theories of crime, and assess the effectiveness of criminal justice systems, non-criminal justice programs, and other policies and practices that respond to crime.
Your IU Online MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety prepares you for such careers as:
- Correctional officer supervisor
- Police and detective supervisor
- Criminal investigator
- Emergency management director
- Security manager
- Public safety officer
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo and IU Southeast.
To graduate with the MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety, you must complete 33 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (15 credit hours)
- Concentration courses (18 credit hours)
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
2.7 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
To apply to this program:
Complete an online application that includes:
- GRE scores
- 250-word personal statement explaining background and goals for entering the program
- TOEFL scores (international students only)
- Supplementary materials such as letters of recommendation, writing samples, and related materials may also be submitted
o Criminal Justice Concentration. Choose one: SPEA-J 501 Evolution of Criminological Thought and Policy I -OR- CJUS-P 502 Proseminar: Criminal Justice II o Public Safety Concentration. SPEA-J 528 Risk Analysis for Public Safety
Overview of criminal justice and public safety. Definitions of public safety and identification of major components. Functional description of major public safety agencies. Discussion of basic issues in public safety. Management in public safety system.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $320.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $960.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $450.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1350.00
Additional fees will apply.
-Rate is determined by program of enrollment.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future