In the Information Age, enormous amounts of data are generated every day in a range of areas, including social media, search engines, insurance companies, healthcare organizations, hospitals, defense, and retail. Data science is now a rapidly growing, high-paying field.
As a student in the IU Online BS in Data Science, you collect, organize, and analyze data to make meaningful conclusions. You write programs to perform data analysis on large, complex datasets. You evaluate the social, legal, and ethical issues that arise from the mass collection of data.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Data acquisition and storage
- Data exploration and curation
- Data modeling and analysis
- Data visualization and presentation
- Data ethics and governance
Your IU Online BS in Data Science prepares you for such careers as:
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data mining engineer
- Data architect
- Data scientist
- Analytics manager
- Research analyst
- Information officer
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU East, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn the BS in Data Science, you must complete 120 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Data science core courses, including capstone course (33 credit hours)
- Professional communication courses (6 credit hours)
- Computer science courses (11 credit hours)
- Mathematics courses (9 credit hours)
- Statistics courses (9 credit hours)
- General education courses and electives, as needed to reach 120 credit hours
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
Admission requirements vary by campus.
*This course may be substituted with CSCI-A 213: Database Applications.
*This course may be substituted with CSCI-C 442: Database Systems, INFO-I 308: Information Representation, or CSCI-B 461: Database Concepts.
*This course may be substituted with INFO-I 491: Capstone.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $250.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $750.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $350.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1050.00
-Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future