The Bachelor of General Studies provides a multidisciplinary course of study that fulfills traditional university requirements in liberal arts and sciences while enabling you to meet your specific goals. It is a fully accredited, broad-based liberal arts degree without a specific major.
As a student in the program, you to complete requirements in three learning areas: arts and humanities, science and mathematics, and social and behavioral sciences. In consultation with your academic advisor, you also complete electives that allow you to tailor your general studies degree to your individual needs. You receive a broad range of skills and knowledge that can further your current career and/or prepare you for professional programs or graduate school.
Your IU Online BGS prepares you for an infinite variety of careers.
To graduate with the BGS, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Arts and Humanities (minimum 12 credit hours)
- Math and Science (minimum 12 credit hours)
- Social/Behavioral Science (minimum 12 credit hours)
- Concentration (minimum of 18 additional credit hours in one of the preceding areas)
- Electives (minimum of 15 credits in Arts and Sciences and 51 credits of general electives
You must demonstrate competency by taking at least two classes in English composition and a class in each of the following: speech, mathematics, computer science, and diversity. At least 30 credit hours must be taken at the 300-400 level. You may earn up to three minors in such fields as biology, sociology, business administration, and health system administration.
The general studies degree program allows credit to be awarded through independent study, distance learning, credit-by-examination, self-acquired competency (credit by portfolio), and American Council on Education (ACE) recommended programs through the military. Through these features, the program provides the convenience, flexibility and individualized learning experience that will allow the student to complete their degree requirements.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
Admissions requirements vary.
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit high school transcript or equivalent (applicants with fewer than 12 credit hours).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
- Submit official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Office of Admissions
Indiana University Northwest
Gary, IN 46410
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $220.03
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $660.09
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $315.35
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $946.05
Additional fees will apply.
Earn a quality education
With more than 120 online degree programs to choose from, Indiana University gives you the opportunity to receive a top-quality education when you want it, where you want it. The faculty who teach our online courses are the same exceptional faculty who teach those courses on our campuses. Whether you're looking for an undergraduate education or want to continue advancing your career with a graduate degree, IU Online’s degree program options have something for everyone.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes whenever and wherever is most convenient for you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. Classes aren't tied to a certain time or day.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at Indiana University have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. We're committed to providing you with the quality educational experience students have come to expect and desire from Indiana University, without needing to make sacrifices to the other commitments in your life.