Drawing on models found in business, healthcare, and manufacturing, improvement science is the practice of testing educators' responses to locally identified problems in education. It aims to change education for the better, effectively and with reduced variation.
The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Improvement Science prepares you to design and enact improvement processes in your organization. Coursework emphasizes identifying problems of practice, developing "Plan-Do-Study-Act" (PDSA) cycles, and making data-informed decisions.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in Improvement Science may prepare you for such careers as:
- Classroom teacher
- Teacher leader
- Instructional coach
- School administrator
- Central office administrator
- State education agency official
- Early childhood program director
- Design improvement processes.
- Analyze problems of practice that have historically or chronically prevented improvement.
- Design "Plan-Do-Study-Act" cycles that are consistent with, and responsive to, a clearly defined problem of practice.
- Collect and interpret data that accurately reflect the progress and effectiveness of reforms.
- Identify practical measures and localized data sources.
- Evaluate and test changes using "Plan-Do-Study-Act" cycles.
- Facilitate the establishment, spread, and implementation of changes.
- Engage stakeholders in the change process.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Improvement Science, you must complete 12 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (12 credit hours)
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
2.7 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
To apply to this program:
Complete an online application that includes:
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Minimum 79 TOEFL score or minimum 6.5 IELTS score (international students only)
- Spring semester
- November 16
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $437.70
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1313.10
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $525.24
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1575.72
-Additional fees will apply.
-This program is ineligible for financial aid.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future