The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature provides training in the core principles of writing and literature. As a student in this program, you learn to teach students how to craft sound arguments using close attention to logic, context, and audience. You also develop a fluency with the current debates, schools, and theories of writing instruction.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary analysis, with attention to close reading, style, form, genre, and rhetorical practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction, including the identification and evaluation of sources, use of evidence, generation of ideas, and the development and organization of argument
- Fostering discussion and developing presentation skills in a seminar setting
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Developments, trends, and frontiers in the digital humanities
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
Of Special Interest to Dual-Credit and Community College Instructors Needing to Meet HLC StandardsThe stand-alone Certificate in Language and Literature provides the requisite number of discipline-specific graduate credits for those who already hold a master's degree. Students who need both the discipline-specific coursework and a master's degree will take the additional English graduate classes required to earn a master's in English.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature prepares you for such careers as:
- Composition and/or literature dual-credit teacher (high school)
- Composition and/or literature instructor (community college)
To enroll in this program, you must possess either a BA in English (or related bachelor's degree in education with an English specialization, concentration, or outside area) or two years of secondary teaching experience in literature or composition classes. To earn the Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature, you must complete a total of 20 credit hours.Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Language and literature core courses (16 credit hours)
- Language and literature elective course (4 credit hours)
Choose one: ENG-W 600 Topics in Rhetoric & Composition –OR– ENG-W 682 Special Topics: Rhetoric & Composition –OR– ENG-W 508 Creative Writing for Teachers –OR– ENG-W 554 Practicum Teaching of Creative Writing
Classroom teaching of literature in the light of current approaches.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $320.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $960.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $450.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1350.00
Additional fees will apply.
-This program is ineligible for financial aid.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future