The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Political Science provides graduate-level instruction to students interested in obtaining advanced skills and knowledge in this area.
As a student in the IU Online Graduate Certificate in Political Science, you study political philosophy, American politics, comparative politics, public opinion, and research methods. When you complete the program, you will be able to:
- Describe the subfields of political science, the central questions they address, and the methods they typically employ.
- Evaluate and critique empirical social science research through literature review and the application of tools and strategies of political analysis.
- Interpret, analyze, and trace the influence of major political thinkers and movements that have influenced the development of American democracy.
- Isolate and analyze factors that shape the political attitudes, beliefs, and preferences of individuals and groups and map their impacts on political behavior and decision making.
- Evaluate and analyze the major institutions of American national politics.
- Situate and analyze American political institutions, processes, and behaviors in a comparative perspective that accounts for regional and international differences.
Of Special Interest for Teachers/Instructors Needing to Meet HLC Dual-Credit Standards
The Graduate Certificate in Political Science is ideal for those who want to teach dual-credit courses and who need to meet Higher Learning Commission dual-credit qualification standards. These standards require teachers wanting to teach dual-credit courses in political science to hold either a master's degree in political science or a master's degree in another discipline (such as education), plus at least 18 credit hours of discipline-specific graduate coursework.
- If you hold a master's degree in a discipline other than political science, you can meet HLC standards by completing the 18 credit hour Graduate Certificate in Political Science.
- If you plan to pursue the IU Online MAT in Political Science, you may apply the 18 credit hours from the Graduate Certificate in Political Science toward the masters degree.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in Political Science can help prepare you for careers in:
- Policy analysis
- NGO management
- National security
- Public service
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from multiple campuses and benefit from the expertise and experience of a diverse faculty.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Political Science, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (18 credit hours)
Many online support services are available to assist you as you progress through the program.
See courses that are being offered this semester.
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
To apply to this program:
Complete an online application that includes:
- Official transcripts from each undergraduate institution
- 250-word personal statement explaining background and reasons for entering the program
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $320.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $960.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $450.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1350.00
-Additional fees will apply.
-This program is not eligible for financial aid.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future