Virtually every community in the world struggles with the public health impacts of unintended pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections, and sexual violence.
To date, there are very few academic programs that provide comprehensive training in the prevention and management of these sexual and reproductive health issues on a broad scale.
While some academic graduate programs exist, they are largely available in the U.S., and rarely delivered through an online platform, thereby being largely unavailable to those living in communities that lack resources and the infrastructure to address these community issues, particularly in developing areas of the world.
The 15 credit hour Graduate Certificate in Sexual and Reproductive Health provides foundational training in the prevention and management of sexual and reproductive health issues on a broad scale. Courses are taught by leading faculty in the School of Public Health.
When you complete the certificate, you will be able to:
- Synthesize and critically examine scientific research-related to sexual and reproductive health.
- Assess the various sexuality education curricula, resources, programs based on a range of individual and community characteristics including visible and invisible diversities.
- Develop a sexuality education course syllabus with developmentally appropriate instructional methods aligned with national teacher preparation standards, policies, and laws that reflects the diversity of the community.
- Comprehend and critique the major systems of sexual and reproductive health surveillance and their respective methodology.
- Summarize the legal and ethical foundations of sexual and reproductive health surveillance.
- Review practical and theoretical concepts required for developing sexual and reproductive health research trajectories for program proposals for extramural funding.
- Identify technical aspects related to applying for and managing extramural funds for sexual and reproductive health and practice activities, from a diverse range of funding sources.
Your graduate certificate will prepare you for professional work in the following roles:
- Reproductive health specialist/counselor
- Health center director
- Family planning educator
- Community health educator
- Community advocate
- Sexual wellness counselor
- Policy advisor
- Student life counselor
- Student services coordinator
- Diversity educator
- Outreach and education specialist
- Teen sexual health specialist
- Behavior intervention specialist
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
2.5 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
Admission requires the approval of the MyPublicHealthDirect program director. You need not submit standardized test scores (GRE/GMAT).
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $412.56
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1237.68
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $536.32
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1608.96
Earn a quality education
With more than 115 online degree programs to choose from, Indiana University gives you the opportunity to receive a top-quality education when you want it, where you want it. The faculty who teach our online courses are the same exceptional faculty who teach those courses on our campuses. Whether you're looking for an undergraduate education or want to continue advancing your career with a graduate degree, IU Online’s degree program options have something for everyone.
Online learning gives you the flexibility and freedom to attend your classes whenever and wherever is most convenient for you. You can save time and money by being able to continue to work and by avoiding relocation or travel costs. You will be required to complete assignments in a certain timeframe, but in most instances, you can log in and complete coursework during the time of day that works best for you. Classes aren't tied to a certain time or day.
Service you expect from a leading University
Online learners at Indiana University have access to the same student services available to on-campus students. We're committed to providing you with the quality educational experience students have come to expect and desire from Indiana University, without needing to make sacrifices to the other commitments in your life.