This program is offered collaboratively by the IU East, IU Kokomo, and IU Northwest campuses. This means that you can fulfill degree requirements by taking online classes offered by any of these campuses. This collaborative model allows you the exciting opportunity to leverage the expertise and perspectives of faculty at multiple IU campuses.
Sociology is the scientific study of society, social institutions, and social relationships. It examines the complex social, economic, political, and technological challenges facing our society today.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Sociology explores the discipline of sociology, the sociological perspective, and the contribution of sociology to our understanding of social reality. You learn to identify sociological imagination in source material, explain the importance of the relationship between biography and history, analyze issues from multiple points of view, and assess the historical and social structural contexts of an argument.
As a student in the program, you use qualitative and quantitative research methods to examine social life. You study the major theoretical arguments and key concepts of functionalist theory, conflict theory, symbolic interactionism, and social constructionism. You develop deep understanding of the structure and functions of social inequalities and hierarchies of difference and power. You also examine how agency, culture, and social structure operate in society.
Your IU Online BS in Sociology prepares you for such careers as:
- Social researcher
- Policy analyst
- Survey researcher
- Human resources specialist
- Urban planner
- Market research analyst
- Public relations specialist
- Management consultant
- Guidance counselor
To graduate with your BS in Sociology, you must complete 120 credit hours. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Sociology core courses including Capstone (21 credit hours)
- Sociology elective courses (24 credit hours)
- General education courses (30-42 credit hours)
- General elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
To apply to this program:
- Complete application for admission.
- Submit official transcripts.
- Submit official high school transcript or equivalent (may be required of some applicants).
- Complete an essay (may be required of some applicants).
- International applicants may be asked for additional materials.
Students who meet the admission standards of their home campus will be admitted directly into the BS Sociology.
This program is offered by IU East, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, and IU Northwest. After applying, you will be assigned a home campus. You will submit application documents to the Office of Admissions of that campus.
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $250.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $750.00
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $350.00
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1050.00
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future