Sustainability studies is quickly becoming one of the most important fields as the global population faces increasingly pressing environmental challenges. As a student in the BA in Sustainability Studies, you study climate, energy, geography, history, sociology, and economics to understand the complex environmental problems of today. You learn modern conservation methods and techniques and adopt a transformative mindset so that you can become an effective agent of change.
When you complete the program, you will be able to:
- Identify fundamental environmental, social, and economic concepts associated with sustainability.
- Synthesize historical and contemporary and scientific and ethical arguments to develop a systems approach to sustainable practices.
- Use skills of persuasion, audience analysis, and aesthetic expression to advance rhetoric and argument, media communications, public relations, and political/community organizing related to sustainability.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative tools and metrics to design innovative sustainable practices and assess their impact.
- Demonstrate professional skills of leadership and collaboration through experiential learning (civic engagement, service learning, research, or internship) in order to apply sustainable solutions in real-life settings.
Your IU Online BA in Sustainability Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Sustainability policy consultant
- Environmental advocate
- Environmental engineer
- Natural sciences manager
- Environmental specialist
- Sustainability program coordinator
- Energy manager
- Ecotourism guide
- Energy auditor
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU East, IU Kokomo, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn the BA in Sustainability Studies, you must complete 120 credit hours. You complete the standard degree requirements (including general education requirements) of your campus and school of enrollment, plus the 42 hours of the BA in Sustainability Studies major requirements.
Major requirements (42 credit hours) are broken down into the categories below. You have numerous courses within each category to choose from.
- Introduction to Sustainability (3 credit hours)
- Scientific Foundations of Sustainability (3 credit hours)
- Sustainability Science (6 credit hours)
- Social and Behavioral Foundations of Sustainability (6 credit hours)
- Sustainability in the Arts and Humanities (3 credit hours)
- Methods and Techniques for Sustainability (6 credit hours)
- Written Communication (3 credit hours)
- Business and Economics of Sustainability (3 credit hours)
- Sustainability Capstone (3 credit hours)
- Sustainability Electives (6 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU
Students who meet the admission standards of their home campus will be admitted directly into the BA in Sustainability Studies major.
Cost for Indiana Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $235.59
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $706.77
Cost for Out of State Residents
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $340.92
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $1022.76
Additional fees will apply.
Earn an IU education from wherever you are
When you enroll in an IU Online program, you take IU classes, taught by the same faculty who teach on our campuses.
It's the flexible, affordable way to get the IU education you deserve without putting your life—or career—on hold.
Get the support you need to succeed
As a student in an IU Online program, you'll have the opportunity to engage with and seek help from your professors and peers, just as you would in a campus-based program.
You'll also have access to a variety of academic and other support services that you can call on when you need additional assistance. You're an important part of the IU community and we're dedicated to ensuring you have the resources you need to thrive in your online program.
Reap the rewards for decades to come
No matter what field you're in, an IU degree or certificate can improve your chances of earning a promotion or pay raise.
You'll also earn skills that will help you to achieve success for the foreseeable future, whether you're seeking to complete an advanced degree in your current field or switch career paths altogether.
Take the first step toward a more rewarding future