Computer Science, BS
Bachelor of Science
The IU Online BS in Computer Science is a well-rounded degree that prepares you for a career in one of the fastest-growing fields today. Learn the foundational principles of programming, mathematics, problem-solving, and software development. Gain the skills to address complex problems in the real world using technology. Prepare to work in a variety of settings and thrive as technology changes.
- Apply problem-solving skills to real-world problems.
- Develop software systems and computing-based solutions.
- Communicate in a professional context in relation to data science issues.
How You Benefit
Enter your career field with the technical proficiency, project management skills, communication expertise, and experience sought by employers. Learn to develop working solutions for computing challenges in the future. Benefit from excellent career opportunities after graduation or prepare for graduate school.
What You Study
Specific areas of focus include:
- Data structures
- Operating systems
- Computer structures
- Software engineering
- Computer networks
This 100 percent online program is taught by IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast, meaning that you can take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
Your IU Online BS in Computer Science prepares you for such careers as:
- Data analyst
- Web and software developer
- Information security analyst
- Computer programmer
- Computer network architect
- Network and computer system administrator
To graduate with the BS in Computer Science, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours, broken down as follows:
- Computer science core courses (40 credit hours)
- Mathematics courses (16 credit hours)
- Discipline-specific elective courses (6 credit hours)
- General science courses with a laboratory component (8–10 credit hours)
- General education courses and electives, as needed to reach 120 credit hours