Applied Computer Science
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Computer Science introduces computer science principles, develops practical skills in market-driven software applications, and prepares you to be successful with emerging technologies. You learn to solve complex problems, design and implement algorithms, apply computer science theory to practical problems, adapt to technological change, and program in at least two languages.
As a student in the program, you take courses in web development, computer science concepts, and software project management. You also acquire the technical proficiency, project management skills, communication expertise, and analytical skills needed to develop working solutions for computing challenges.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Computer Science prepares you for such careers as:
- Database developer
- Visual basic developer
- Multimedia developer
- System and network administrator
- Information security administrator
- Help desk technical support
- User support specialist
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Computer Science, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Applied computer science core courses (9 credit hours)
- Applied computer science tier 1 elective courses (3 credit hours)
- Applied computer science tier 2 elective courses (6 credit hours)
*Courses for this certificate program are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU