Today, there is a trend toward the use of modern sophisticated mathematical techniques of both computational and theoretical types, to analyze experimental and big data sets in the fields of engineering, economics, and sciences, as well as in industry.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics provides non-math-major students with the opportunity to enhance careers with a strong background in applied mathematics. In particular, the required courses leading to the certificate prepare you for deeper study or research at graduate school or in your chosen job fields.
As a student in the program, you take upper-level, undergraduate applied, and computational mathematics courses that go beyond the level of Calculus I, II, and III. The curriculum includes linear algebra, elementary differential equations with applications, elementary computational methods, and mathematical models and applications. In addition, you select one mathematics elective course that aligns with your specific goals.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics prepares you for such careers as:
- Finance analyst
- Business analyst
- Programmer analyst
- Software engineer
- IT project manager
- Research assistant
- Data analyst
- Investment analyst
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics, you must complete 15 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Applied mathematics core courses (12 credit hours)
- Applied mathematics elective course (3 credit hours)
NOTE: Prerequisites for the Undergraduate Certificate in Applied Mathematics include Calculus I, II, and III.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU