The Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies is ideal for those who want to teach dual-credit courses and who need to meet Higher Learning Commission dual-credit qualification standards. These standards require teachers wanting to teach dual-credit courses to hold either a master's degree in their area of instruction or a master's degree in another discipline (such as education), plus at least 18 credit hours of discipline-specific graduate coursework.
- If you hold a master's degree in another discipline, you can meet HLC standards by completing the 18 credit hour Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies.
- If you plan to pursue the IU Online Master of Liberal Studies, you may apply the 18 credit hours from the Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies toward the master's degree.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies prepares you for such careers as:
- Communication dual-credit teacher (high school)
- Communication instructor (community college)
- Communication professional in an organization or institution
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies, you must complete 18 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Communication pedagogy course (3 cr. hours)
- Communication in context courses (9 cr. hours)
- Communication in media course (3 cr. hours)
- Communication elective course (3 cr. hours)
ALL core courses are listed here. You will select from among these courses to fulfill degree requirements.
|CMCL-C 502 or SPCH-S 500||Intro to Communication Theory||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 592 or CMCL-C 592||Advanced Health Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 633||Studies in Interpersonal Communication||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 545||Communication Pedagogy||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 594||Communication and Conflict Management in Organizations||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 606||Media Criticism||3 Credits|
|CMCL-C 610||Identity and Difference||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 510||Health Provider-Consumer Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 528||Group Communication and Organizations||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 544||Advanced Relational Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 582||Advanced Intercultural Communication||3 Credits|
|COMM-C 593||Family Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 500||Intro to Grad Studies and Research||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 627||Studies in Cross-Cultural Communication||3 Credits|
|SPCH-S 640||Studies in Organizational Communication||3 Credits|
Find course descriptions with our Search Schedule of Classes/Courses tool.