Criminal Justice and Public Safety, MS
Master Of Science
The IU Online MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety focuses on the intersection of these two exciting fields. The program will appeal to individuals interested in the fields of policing, homeland security, and emergency management. Complete coursework in a variety of special topics, including crime mapping, geographic information systems, and cybersecurity, among others. The flexible online program also meets the needs of individuals currently working in criminal justice and security careers.
As a student in the program, you:
- Examine criminal justice and public safety system actors, agencies, and processes.
- Explore the underlying operations of police, emergency management, courts, and corrections agencies.
- Identify the major policy issues in criminal justice and public safety systems.
- Learn to communicate effectively with individuals working in the complex and diverse criminal justice or public safety sectors.
- Explore the philosophical underpinnings and development of law, and critically evaluate how criminal justice and public safety policies balance individual rights and public order.
- Analyze criminal justice and public safety policies using a variety of tools, including quantitative research methods and statistical techniques, to improve criminal justice and public safety agencies.
- Identify and critically analyze current criminal justice and public safety policies using available research and empirical evidence to discuss the strengths and limitations of various approaches.
Tailor your degree to your professional interests by choosing one of two concentrations:
- Public safety
- Criminal justice
Public Safety Concentration
Assess public safety risks using various analysis tools and develop plans to prepare, manage, and mitigate natural and human-made crises.
Criminal Justice Concentration
Analyze the nature and extent of crime, critically evaluate major theories of crime, and assess the effectiveness of criminal justice systems, non-criminal justice programs, and other policies and practices that respond to crime.
Your IU Online MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety prepares you for such careers as:
- Correctional officer supervisor
- Police and detective supervisor
- Criminal investigator
- Emergency management director
- Security manager
- Public safety officer
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To graduate with the MS in Criminal Justice and Public Safety, you must complete 33 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (15 credit hours)
- Concentration courses (18 credit hours)