Criminal Justice, BS
Bachelor Of Science
Criminal justice is a social science that focuses on the definitions, causes, and prevention of crime; legal processes; and the treatment and rehabilitation of offenders.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice explores crime, criminals, and the criminal justice system through an interdisciplinary approach that combines legal studies, sociology, political science, psychology, forensic science, public administration, urban studies, and philosophy. Study a myriad of topics related to theories about crime, public policy, law, criminal courts, policing, corrections, juvenile justice, and the practice of criminal justice. As a graduate of the program, you will be well prepared to attend graduate or law school.
Your IU Online BS in Criminal Justice prepares you for such careers as:
- Police officer
- Corrections officer
- Law enforcement teacher or trainer
- FBI, CIA, or Secret Service agent
- Immigration and customs enforcement agent
- US Postal Inspector
- Court clerk
- Crime scene investigator
- Private security officer
- Compliance manager
To graduate with the BS in Criminal Justice, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. A minimum of 36 credits must be taken at the 300 level or above, with at least 18 in the major. No course with a grade below a 2.0 (C) will be accepted in the major/concentration area. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (30 credit hours)
- Criminal justice core courses (27 credit hours)
- Criminal justice elective courses (9 credit hours)
- First-Year seminar (0-3 credit hours)
- Ethics course (3 credit hours)
- Information literacy course (3 credit hours)
- Diversity course (3 credit hours)
- Social work course (3 credit hours recommended)
- General education courses and electives, as needed to reach 120 credit hours
IU Online provides friendly services and resources to help you succeed.