Data Science, BS
Bachelor Of Science
In the Information Age, enormous amounts of data are generated every day in a range of areas, including social media, search engines, insurance companies, healthcare organizations, hospitals, defense, and retail. Data science is now a rapidly growing, high-paying field.
As a student in the IU Online BS in Data Science, you collect, organize, and analyze data to make meaningful conclusions. You write programs to perform data analysis on large, complex datasets. You evaluate the social, legal, and ethical issues that arise from the mass collection of data.
Specific areas of focus include:
- Data acquisition and storage
- Data exploration and curation
- Data modeling and analysis
- Data visualization and presentation
- Data ethics and governance
Your IU Online BS in Data Science prepares you for such careers as:
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data mining engineer
- Data architect
- Data scientist
- Analytics manager
- Research analyst
- Information officer
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU East, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn the BS in Data Science, you must complete 120 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Data science core courses, including capstone course (33 credit hours)
- Professional communication courses (6 credit hours)
- Computer science courses (11 credit hours)
- Mathematics courses (9 credit hours)
- Statistics courses (9 credit hours)
- General education courses and electives, as needed to reach 120 credit hours
IU Online provides friendly services and resources to help you succeed.
Admission requirements vary by campus.