Advancements in technology, combined with the globalization of business and communication, continue to broaden the spectrum of environments where teachers skilled in English as a foreign language (EFL) or English as a second language (ESL) are needed.
The IU Online Graduate Certificate in EFL/ESL Teaching is designed for new or experienced teachers to develop and enhance expertise in teaching English as a foreign or second language. As a student in the program, you take required courses covering approaches to instruction and assessment, language foundations, and teaching English in global contexts. You also complete electives, including a course on computer-assisted language learning and a practicum in language education.
Your IU Online Graduate Certificate in EFL/ESL Teaching prepares you as an EFL/ESL teacher in such areas as:
- Elementary, secondary, and post-secondary levels in private or public schools
- Life skills, literacy, or vocational training programs
- Non-profit organizations
- Private tutoring companies
- International business settings
To earn the Graduate Certificate in EFL/ESL Teaching, you must complete 12 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- EFL/ESL teaching core courses (9 credit hours)
- EFL/ESL teaching elective course (3 credit hours)