Master of Arts for Teachers
The IU Online Master of Arts for Teachers in French combines coursework in education and French to prepare you to be a dual-credit instructor at the high school and community college levels.
Deepen your proficiency in French through advanced graduate coursework and gain a comprehensive understanding of Francophone cultures and of French as a living language. Study and practice various language teaching methodologies, thereby improving your instructional skills and your students’ learning outcomes.
Of Special Interest for Dual-Credit and Community College Instructors Needing to Meet HLC Standards
The stackable structure of the MAT in French is ideal for dual-credit and community college teachers who need to meet the Higher Learning Commission’s instructor qualification standards. These standards require teachers to hold either a master’s degree in their area of instruction or a master’s degree in another discipline (such as education), plus at least 18 credit hours of discipline-specific graduate coursework.
- If you hold a master's degree in a discipline other than your discipline of instruction, you can meet HLC's standards by completing one of IU Online’s graduate certificates.
- If you need both a master's degree and discipline-specific coursework, the MAT in French meets HLC standards and provides a comprehensive program of study in French.
This 100 percent online program is taught by IU Bloomington, IU East, and IUPUI. This consortial model means you take coursework from multiple campuses and benefit from the expertise and experience of a diverse faculty.
To earn the MAT in French, you must complete 30 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (9 credit hours)
- French/Francophone studies courses (6 credit hours)
- French linguistics course (3 credit hours)
- Foreign language methodology, applied linguistics, and language acquisition course (3 credit hours)
- Electives (9 credit hours)
Many online support services are available to assist you as you progress through the program.