Bachelor of Science
Germany is a powerhouse of the European Union both in terms of population and economic stability. Anyone wanting to pursue international business is at a significant advantage if they speak German.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in German provides a rigorous curriculum that develops your language proficiency, cultural facility, and professional competence in German. The curriculum includes quality coursework and extensive practice and application in the German language and German culture and will be of particular interest to individuals in the fields of business, science, education, the arts, and the social sciences.
Tailor your degree to your professional interests by choosing one of two tracks:
- German for Science and Technical Communication (15 credit hours)
- German for Genealogical Research and Cultural Tourism (15 credit hours)
The tracks allow you to apply your command of the German language and knowledge of German culture in a variety of real-world settings.
Employment opportunities in the fields of German are expected to continue growing well above average for the next 10 years at the state, regional, and national level. Your IU Online BS in German may prepare you for such careers as:
- Meeting, convention, and event planners
- Sales managers
- Training managers
- General and operations managers
- Human resources specialists
If you decide to pursue an advanced degree, the solid liberal arts foundation and suite of core German coursework will prepare you for admission to a wide variety of professional graduate programs.
This online program is taught by IU East, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This model allows you to take coursework from multiple campuses and benefit from the expertise and experience of a diverse faculty. Please note that, although the program is delivered 100 percent online, some classes require your attendance on specific days and times.
To earn the BS in German, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. You may transfer up to 60 previously earned credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (6 credit hours)
- Major courses (27 credit hours)
- Track courses (15 credit hours)
- General education and elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU