Language and Literature
How you benefit
The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature provides training in the core principles of writing and literature. Learn to teach students how to craft sound arguments using close attention to logic, context, and audience. Develop a fluency with the current debates, schools, and theories of writing instruction.
What you study
Specific areas of focus include:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary analysis, with attention to close reading, style, form, genre, and rhetorical practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction, including the identification and evaluation of sources, use of evidence, generation of ideas, and the development and organization of argument
- Fostering discussion and developing presentation skills in a seminar setting
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Developments, trends, and frontiers in the digital humanities
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
See courses that are being offered this semester.
Download a printable PDF summary of all our graduate programs for teachers.