The IU Online Graduate Certificate in Literature explores the core principles of literature. Learn to teach students how to read and analyze texts and contexts and to write literary analysis. Develop a fluency with current literary debates and theories of instruction.
What you study
Specific areas of focus include:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- Reading strategies and literary analysis, with attention to close reading, style, form, genre, and rhetorical practices
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction, including the identification and evaluation of sources, use of evidence, generation of ideas, and development and organization of argument
- Fostering discussion and developing presentation skills in a seminar setting
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Developments, trends, and frontiers in the digital humanities
This 100 percent online, consortial program is taught by IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU East, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.