Bachelor Of Science
Mathematics is the science of structure, order, and relation that has evolved from counting, measuring, and describing the shapes of objects. It deals with logical reasoning and quantitative calculation and is considered the underlying language of science.
The IU Online Bachelor of Science in Mathematics exposes you to common core courses in calculus, linear algebra, modern algebra, real analysis, and mathematical modeling.* Electives within the major allow you to choose an area of specialization, such as financial mathematics or pure mathematics. As a student in this program, you learn to think logically, read and write articulately and analytically, solve quantitative problems, explain scientific research, frame inquiry, and recognize, analyze, and interpret data. If you plan a career in actuarial sciences, you may choose to specialize in probability, finance, and economics. This plan of study is also recommended if you wish to pursue graduate studies in mathematics.
* Please note that the IU Online BS in Mathematics places more emphasis on math courses than does the IU Online BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
Your IU Online BS in Mathematics prepares you for such careers as:
- Mathematics teacher (K-12)
- Mathematics instructor (community college)
- Mathematical technician
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Investment analyst
- Mathematical modeler
- Software engineer
To graduate with the BS in Mathematics, you must complete a total of 120 credit hours. You may be able to transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours from a regionally accredited two-year college and up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- General education courses (33 credit hours)
- Mathematics core courses (31 credit hours)
- Mathematics elective courses (15 credit hours)
- General elective courses (41 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU