The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Pure Mathematics provides non-math-major students with the opportunity to enhance their career with a strong background in pure mathematics. In particular, the required courses leading to the certificate prepare students to pursue deeper study at graduate school.
As a student in the certificate program, you take upper-level, undergraduate pure mathematics courses that go beyond the level of Calculus I, II, and III.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Pure Mathematics prepares you for such careers as:
- Mathematical technician
- Data analyst
- Data scientist
- Investment analyst
- Software engineer
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Pure Mathematics, you must complete 15 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Pure mathematics core courses (12 credit hours)
- Mathematics elective course (3 credit hours)
NOTE: All students must have completed the courses in the Calculus sequence MATH-M 215, MATH-M 216, MATH-M 311, or its equivalent. MATH-M 393 Bridge to Abstract Mathematics is a prerequisite for most 400-level classes.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU