Rehabilitation and Disability Studies
Rehabilitation and Disability Studies explores how disabilities can affect individuals physically, vocationally, socially, and medically, and how rehabilitation can empower people with disabilities to enjoy an enhanced quality of life.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies helps you appreciate and understand the changing needs of people with disabilities, and prepares you for employment in a wide range of rehabilitation-related positions in for-profit and nonprofit rehabilitation facilities and agencies.
As a student in the program, you take courses covering medical terminology, psychological aspects of disabilities, medical aspects of disabilities, adaptive rehabilitation technology, rehabilitation case management, and proposal writing for community-based rehabilitation programs. You also complete a practicum in rehabilitation and disability.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies prepares you to work in any number of settings, including hospitals or medical facilities, counseling centers, group homes or residential facilities, schools, nursing homes, early intervention centers, recreation centers or camps, or preschools and daycare centers, in such careers as:
- Disability advocate
- Case manager
- Program coordinator
- Rehabilitation counselor
- Medical device sales representative
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, you must complete 21 credit hours in rehabilitation and disability studies core courses.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU