Bachelor of Science
Did you know that Spanish is the official language in 20 countries around the world? And that here in the US, about 13.5 percent of the population speaks Spanish at home? IU Online’s Bachelor of Science in Spanish offers a rigorous curriculum that develops your language proficiency, cultural facility, and professional competence in Spanish.
Tailor your degree to your professional interests by choosing one of four tracks:
- Spanish for Business (18 credit hours)
- Spanish for Medical Communication (18 credit hours)
- Hispanic Cultures for Travel and Tourism (18 credit hours)
- Hispanic Cultures in the US (18 credit hours)
The tracks allow you to apply your command of the Spanish language and knowledge of Hispanic culture in a variety of real-world settings.
Employment opportunities in the fields of Spanish are expected to continue growing well above average for the next 10 years at the state, regional, and national level. Your IU Online BS in Spanish prepares you to work in such positions as:
- Meeting, convention, and event planners
- Public relations specialists
- Sales managers
- Training managers
- General and operations managers
- Interpreters and translators/medical communications
- Human resources specialists
If you decide to pursue an advanced degree, the solid liberal arts foundation and suite of core Spanish coursework will prepare you for admission to a wide variety of professional graduate programs.
This 100 percent online program is taught by IU East, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast. This consortial model allows you to take coursework from several campuses and learn from a wide range of faculty.
To earn a Bachelor of Science in Spanish, you must complete 120 credit hours. You may transfer up to 60 previously earned credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Core courses (6 credit hours)
- Major courses (24 credit hours)
- Capstone course (3 credit hours)
- Track courses (18 credit hours)
- General education and elective courses (as needed to total 120 credit hours)
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU