Tourism Planning and Development
Travel planning is an essential skill for anyone wanting to pursue a career in destination marketing organizations, tourist attractions, travel businesses, and tourist leisure services.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Tourism Planning and Development explores courses in tourism planning and development, tourism policy and sustainability, tourism marketing and sales, and travel trends and destinations. You select elective courses on such topics as cultural heritage tourism, cruise line management, sports tourism development, ecotourism, visitor behavior, business marketing, and nonprofit management and leadership.
As a student in the program, you gain core skills in global geography, marketing, travel trends, and travel segmentation, as well as experiential learning onboard a cruise line. Upon successful completion of the certificate, you will have a foundation on which you can build a career in travel services.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Travel Planning and Development prepares you for such careers as:
- Travel agent
- Corporate travel consultant
- International travel consultant
- Auto travel counselor
- Tour coordinator
- Tour sales representative
- Cruise director
- Travel customer service representative
- Reservations agent
- Ticketing agent
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Travel Planning and Development, you must complete 18 to 19 credit hours.
Requirements are broken down as follows:
- Travel planning and development core courses (12 credit hours)
- Travel planning and development elective courses (6 credit hours)
- Industry internship recommended (1 credit hour)
*Courses for this certificate program are offered both online and on campus. Please check the current course listings for online availability.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU