Legal informatics has been described as "the study of the application of information technologies to the field of law and the use of these technologies by legal professionals." Legal informatics also includes the law related to technology, such as intellectual property law, and security.
The IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics focuses on the effective use of cutting-edge technology in the study and practice of law. The program is designed for individuals seeking to join a legal team without having to earn a law degree. Our graduates are advocates for the best use of information technology in law, helping lawyers to better meet the needs of their clients, and enhancing the quality of legal services.
As a student in the program, you learn to implement specialized technology in law firms and law-related organizations, assist with presenting a legal case in court, handle electronic evidence with confidence, incorporate effective information governance into any organization, establish proper security and privacy programs, and protect the intellectual property of an organization.
Your IU Online Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics prepares you to work in law firms, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, courts, legal software vendors, and consulting firms i n such careers as:
- Cybersecurity specialist
- Electronic discovery specialist
- Intellectual property law consultant
- Contracts and licensing specialist
- Internet of things consultant
- Information governance advisor
- Social media advisor
- Legal software specialist
- Legal data analyst
- Compliance analyst
To earn the Undergraduate Certificate in Legal Informatics, you must complete 15 credit hours.
NOTE: If you choose to pursue the IU Online BS in Informatics, these certificate courses may apply to your degree requirements. Completion of the certificate program does not guarantee admission to the bachelor's degree program.
IU Online provides quick and easy access to tools, tips, and IU resources to help you succeed, including:
- Admissions: Personalized application support for the program that is right for you
- Onboarding: An interactive orientation to online learning and all things IU
- Student Financial Services: Tailored resources for financial aid and money management
- Success Coaching: One-on-one support to reach your academic and personal goals
- Math and Writing Support: Direct access to IU-trained math mentors and writing consultants
- Career Services: Interactive tools and coaching to accelerate your career
- Libraries and Research: Online access to IU library resources and research librarians
- Technology: A full suite of software, collaboration tools, cloud storage, and training
- 24/7 Contact Center: Real-time chat, email, and phone support direct from IU